The Columbia Amateur Radio Association (CARA) is an IRS listed 501 (c)(3) nonprofit organization in support of Amateur Radio in Howard County, Maryland. The Association operates four repeaters and supports communications for public service events across the state of Maryland. We encourage the technical growth and experience of our members through club sponsored amateur radio activities. We also have guest speakers present, at our general meeting, on topics of interest to our club members.
CARA has many features that can benefit those interested in learning more about amateur radio and those who are licensed operators. Examples are:
• A large group of easily accessible and friendly people (more than 100) willing to help you with your radio communication questions (some of our most popular membership meetings are those specifically for the purpose of audience questions being answered by other members of the audience)
• Regular membership meetings with expert guest speakers on interesting and educational topics (e.g. amateur satellite construction and launch, portable radio power options, NASA missions to Mercury, using practical radio equipment to bounce your signals off the Moon…)
• Many public service volunteer communication opportunities facilitated and organized by CARA members; great opportunities to help the community while practicing emergency communication planning and techniques
• Four public-use repeaters (2 VHF and 2 UHF) with superb coverage of the area surrounding Columbia (contacts with Richmond, VA have been made, for example)
• An informal social breakfast meeting held monthly at a local diner, an opportunity to enjoy face-to-face discussion on many topics of interest to the amateur radio community."
CARA members benefit further from:
• Purchase of CARA logo clothing at below cost.
• Attend a winter dinner meeting at below cost.
• Lending library of printed and CD-ROM material related to amateur radio and available to CARA members.
• Radio equipment available for loan to CARA members for temporary use.
• Advertize personal radio equipment for sale to CARA members.
Yearly, CARA has been funding the "Art Goldman Memorial Scholarship". Art was a long time CARA member and contributor. The scholarship is available through the Foundation for Amateur Radio. Information about the Foundation for Amateur Radio Scholarships can be found HERE.
Donations to the scholarship should be made payable to CARA and marked for the scholarship. Electronic payment may be made via PayPal to
or mailed to:
CARA / P.O. Box 911 / Columbia, MD 21044.
General donations to the operations and programs of CARA are tax deductible.
The current members of the CARA Board of Directors are: