The Columbia Amateur Radio Association (CARA) is an IRS-listed 501 (c)(3) nonprofit organization in support of amateur radio in Howard County, Maryland.
CARA offers many features that can benefit those interested in learning more about amateur radio and those who are licensed operators.
- We operate four repeaters that extend the range of FM UHF/VHF (2m and 70cm) radios throughout central Maryland.
- We provide ham radio operators at public service events across the state of Maryland, which provide great opportunities to help the community while practicing emergency communication planning and techniques
- The annual CARAFest provides local hams an opportunity to buy, sell, and trade.
- We fund two $2,000 scholarships each year to support youth in STEM-related academic studies. One is in memory of Art Goldman, WA3CVG, and the other in memory of Don Rees, W4VQA, both of whom were very active in CARA and both supported the design, fabrication, and maintenance of our repeaters.
- We encourage the technical growth and experience of our members through club-sponsored activities and through a regular series of expert speakers at our monthly membership meetings. A monthly breakfast gathering helps us keep in touch.
For a full list of our events, please take a look at the calendar
|Saturday February 9, 2019||9:00am||Membership breakfast|
|Tuesday, February 5, 12, 19, 26||7:00pm||ARES/RACES Net|
|Wednesday, February 20, 2019||7:00pm||MD HF Hospital Net|
Thursday, February 21, 2019
|7:30pm||CARA Board Meeting|
|Wednesday, February 27, 2019||7:30pm||CARA Membership Meeting|